| 4th of July Dog Safety Tips
608
single,single-post,postid-608,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode-theme-ver-8.0,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.9.2,vc_responsive

28 Jun 4th of July Dog Safety Tips

4th July pet safety suwanee

4th July pet safety suwanee

The 4th of July is one of the most dangerous days for pets during the year. A few simple safety tips will prevent your pet from being harmed or lost.

Going to a Fireworks Display? Leave Your Pet at Home!!!!

The safest place for your pet is at home, not in a crowded, unfamiliar and noisy place. Too many people and loud noise will scare your pet. Don’t lock your pet in the car!

Have Your Pet Properly Identified

If your pet manages to break loose and become lost, without proper identification it will be that much harder to get them back. Consider fitting your pet with microchip identification, ID tags with their name and your phone number, or both. It is also a good idea to have a recent picture of your pets in case you have to put up signs. ID Tags can be purchased at Wal-Mart, PetSmart, and Petco for a minimal fee. On no other day more pets get lost!

Keep Your Pet Away from Glow Jewelry
It might look cute, but your pet could chew up and swallow the plastic adornments. The ASPCA states that while not highly toxic, “excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestions, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic containers.”

NEVER Use Fireworks Around Pets

While lit fireworks can pose a danger to curious pets and potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws, even unused fireworks can be hazardous. Some fireworks contain potentially toxic substances such as arsenic, potassium nitrate, and other heavy metals.

Don’t Give Your Pet “Table Food”

If you are having a backyard barbeque, you may be tempted to slip some snacks to your pet. But like beer and chocolate, there are other festive foods that could harm your pet. Onions, coffee, avocado, grapes & raisins, salt and yeast dough are all possible hazards for dogs and cats.

Lighter Fluid and Matches Are Harmful to Pets

The ASPCA lists chlorates as a harmful chemical substance found in some matches that, if ingested, can cause your pet difficulty in breathing, damage blood cells or even cause kidney disease. If exposed to lighter fluid, your pet may sustain skin irritation on contact, respiratory problems if inhaled, and gastric problems if ingested.

1. Citronella Insect Control Products Harm Pets, Too.
Oils, candles, insect coils and other citronella-based repellants are irritating toxins to pets, according to the ASPCA. The result of inhalation can cause severe respiratory illnesses such as pneumonia, and ingestion can harm your pet’s nervous system.

Keep your Pet Inside

Keep your pet inside, away from fireworks and loud noises. Leave the TV or Music on when you leave to distract from all noises.

Don’t Put Insect Repellant on Your Pet that isn’t Specifically for Pet Use

What can be safe for humans can be toxic for your pet. Make sure you only use insect repellant that is for pets!

Alcoholic Drinks Poison Pets

If your pet drinks alcohol, they can become dangerously intoxicated, go into a coma, or in severe cases, die from respiratory failure. Yes, even beer is toxic; fermented hops and ethanol are poisonous to dogs and cats. Keep alcohol out of reach of your pet. Accidents during the 4th of July are much more likely.